Tip: Carbon Monoxide Detector

Make sure to check the levels of Carbon Monoxide in your home before you turn on your furnace this winter

TIP: With the winter months ahead, the house will be closed up most of the time, which makes it a critical time to check to see if your carbon monoxide detector is working properly.

Cabon monoxide detectorWhat is Carbon Monoxide? Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas that is always present at low levels in the air. It is formed from incomplete combustion from any flame-fueled device, including, furnaces, space heaters, and water heaters.

Why should I care? Low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning cause symptoms similar to those of the flu or a cold, including shortness of breath, mild headaches, and nausea. Higher levels of poisoning could cause severe health damage, even death.

What to do? Because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and also because it may be found with warm, rising air, detectors should be placed on a wall about 5 feet above the floor. The detector may be placed on the ceiling. Each floor needs a separate detector. Also, be aware that the average life span of many carbon monoxide detectors is about 2 years.

In the news: St. Paul Family: Get Your Furnace Checked A St. Paul couple wants to pass along a message to you: get your furnace checked. They were supposed to get it checked out last Saturday, but on Thursday, both Jim and Ruth Anne Palermo were rushed to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. “It’s scary, I wouldn’t want that to happen to anybody, so please check your furnaces, don’t be like me, saying oh I’ll wait till next year,” said Ruth Anne. Both are doing better now, and a special program called Heat’s On is installing a new furnace for them on Wednesday (10/02/2012 – KSTP).

Old man and woman

For more go to KSTP

Minneapolis Location

(612) 324-1015
Schedule an Appointment

Saint Paul Location

(612) 324-1015
Schedule an Appointment