Fall has finally arrived! This popular season is a favorite for many Minnesotans and signals the start of the holiday season — but it’s also the start of allergy season. Some people who suffer from allergies may notice their symptoms worsening in the fall compared to spring. Depending on the kinds of allergies you have, your symptoms may look different from season to season.
In fall, ragweed pollen and other allergens are more prevalent. These allergens can trigger your immune system’s response and cause a spike in allergy symptoms. Additionally, now that temperatures are cooling off and school is back in session, many Minnesota residents are spending more time indoors. Whether you’re working from home, back in school, or commuting to the workplace, indoor allergens such as dust, pet dander, and mold can aggravate symptoms.
5 Ways to Avoid Allergens This Season
In addition to causing symptoms such as itchy eyes, a sore throat, or asthma, an allergic reaction can also lead to more severe conditions such as a sinus infection. The most common fall allergens in our area include:
- Fallen leaves (especially oak tree leaves)
- Mold and mildew
- Dust and dust mites
Keep these tips in mind to avoid allergy triggers and stay healthy this fall:
- Know the High Pollen Hours - Check the weather to see when pollen is at its worst. Staying inside during these hours can help prevent surprise triggers.
- Wash Up When You Come Home - Changing clothes and taking a quick shower will help ensure you aren’t carrying allergens into your home.
- Clean More Often - Vacuum and dust communal living spaces in your home, including your living room, bedrooms, and bathrooms.
- Rake the Yard - Fallen leaves look gorgeous in autumn, but they can be problematic for your allergies. Rake the leaves regularly to prevent a buildup of potential allergens in your yard.
- Invest in Air Quality Solutions from Standard Heating & Air Conditioning - 50 Million Americans experience some sort of allergy each year, speak to a professional to see what indoor air quality solutions are right for you and your family.
Contact Standard Heating & Air Conditioning online or by phone at (612) 324-1015 to speak with a member of our team and learn more about the many air quality solutions we offer!