Most Common Air Conditioner Problems
Your unit isn’t cooling properly:
- Refrigerant: Your refrigerant could be low or leaking.
- Sensor Problems: If you have a window unit, the thermostat sensor could be knocked out of position. Carefully bend the wire holding it in place to properly position it.
- Thermostat Issues: Check your thermostat to make sure it is set properly and it is reading the correct temperature.
- Drainage Problems: Check your unit’s drain to make sure it isn’t clogged.
- Dirty Filter: A clogged filter restricts airflow through the unit, decreasing its efficiency and reducing its ability to effectively cool the air.
Your unit isn’t turning on:
- Electric Control Failure: Your compressor and fan controls could be worn out from having your system turn off and on too frequently.
- Thermostat: Make sure your thermostat is working — it might need new batteries or might need to be replaced entirely.
- Ductwork Problems: Your ducts could be leaking air or be clogged or constricted.
If your air conditioner isn’t working properly, it may be time to schedule a service appointment. You can also check out our troubleshooting tips. Customer education is just part of the deal when you work with Standard. Our technicians take the time to answer all the questions you may have.