What to Check Before Scheduling a Service Appointment
For Any Service Appointment:
- Make sure the thermostat is set correctly.
- Check to see if the furnace filter is clean, and change the filter if needed.
- Check the circuit breaker to make sure it wasn’t tripped. A tripped breaker could be the start of a problem or just a random occurrence. If it trips more than once, you should have a certified technician diagnose the problem.
For Problems with Your Furnace:
- Do you have power to your system? Check to make sure the emergency shut-off switch isn’t in the off position.
For Problems with Your Air Conditioner:
- Look at the condenser (located outside) to make sure it is clean and has room to breathe. Shrubs and plants often grow too close to the condenser, preventing air flow. Look for 12 inches of clearance on all sides.
- Do you have power to your system? If you’ve lost power to your home or you are using a “Saver’s Switch” from your utility company, your air conditioner might not run. Find out if your Xcel Energy Saver’s Switch is activated.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Could My A/C Need More Refrigerant?
Many homeowners have a tendency to think that adding refrigerant can solve most problems. However, a central air conditioner is a sealed system and should not lose its refrigerant. Although it does happen, low refrigerant means there is a leak in the system. Adding refrigerant will get the system cooling again but will not solve the root problem.
After a recharge, there is no guarantee how long the system will continue to cool. A permanent leak repair on a young system is usually the recommendation of our technicians, but we understand that budgets sometimes don’t allow that. Our goal is to make your home comfortable again, but also to help you understand what is wrong with the system and explain all the options available to have it cooling again. so we have some other options to help get a system working.